"All our great Presidents were leaders of thought at times when certain historic ideas in the life of the nation had to be clarified." -Franklin D. Roosevelt, September 11, 1932

11 August 2005

Barbara Bel Geddes ("Miss Ellie") Has Died


Barbara Bel Geddes, known the world over for playing Miss Ellie on the long running TV drama "Dallas," died Monday at her home in Maine.

In addition to playing the Ewing family matriarch on the CBS soap, Bel Geddes is also remembered for her 1948 Oscar nomination for supporting actress in "I Remember Mama" and for originating the roll of Maggie the Cat on Broadway in "Cat On a Hot Tin Roof."

I admit, I was a huge "Dallas" fan from the start and remained one of the few loyal viewers when the show ended in 1991 (I admit, I did boycott the show during the 9th season when producers tried to explain Bobby Ewing's return by making the entire previous season a dream.) Miss Ellie was always my favorite character. My thoughts are with her family this week.