"All our great Presidents were leaders of thought at times when certain historic ideas in the life of the nation had to be clarified." -Franklin D. Roosevelt, September 11, 1932

13 May 2006

Elliott Yamin

Ok, I am not an "American Idol" fanatic (nor am I fanatic of any of the reality TV shows in general), but I have been tuning in to the singing contest for the last few weeks. And I must say...Elliott Yamin...that boy can sing!

My fascination with his voice started a few weeks ago when he performed Donny Hathaway's "A Song To You" (chills!) and was cemented even more this past week when he did Elvis Presley's "I Can Dream" and "Trouble" (far and away the best performances of the night). Yamin was born to sing R&B. His voice is full-bodied, soulful, and passionate.

Whatever happens in the competition, Elliott should have no problem getting a recording contract. As a matter of fact it might be better if he lost "American Idol" so that he wouldn't be tied to what I can only assume is the really bad contract deal the winners enter into.

Really, I'm serious. Have we heard anything from Fantasia or Reuben Studdard lately? No. Bo Bice, one of last season's non-winners, is riding high with his current album; and Kelly Clarkson started getting mega-big only after her deal with "Idol" producers expired.

So I guess what I'm saying is Elliott Yamin should lose. It seems to me the "American Idol" title is almost like winning a Supporting Actress Oscar. You bask in the glory and the spotlight for a few days but then, before you know it, your career is on the skids.